I have decided that instead of writing about any particular experience, or about an activity that is on my bucket list, I am going to look back and simply give thanks. There are so many things I am thankful for, but here is a list of a few:
1. I am thankful to be alive. Tomorrow is not promised, so it is important to acknowledge that every breath is a gift.
2. I am thankful to be given life by not only God but also by my mama (RIP). Also, somewhere out there I have a paternal sperm donor who I don’t know, but I’m thankful he helped give me life as well. I’m also thankful for the connection I have with my legal/adopted father who is still alive today.
3. I am thankful for Jesus and what he did on the cross. I know not everyone is going to agree with me on this one, as everyone has different views on religion and religious beliefs, but this is mine – so no matter what I may be unsure of in this life and throughout, this is the one belief I absolutely stand firm in.
4. I am thankful to love and to be loved by so many people, family, friends, co-workers (past and present), whether they are near or far.
5. I am thankful for all the hardships I have endured, because they have helped to shape me and strengthen me today than I ever thought was possible.
6. I am thankful for the strength and courage that God instills within me and builds me up with. Life is not easy, and it will always have its challenges (both good and bad), so strength and courage will always come in handy.
7. I am thankful for the roof over my head, which is a safe place I can call home that will keep me warm in the coming winter months, and I am thankful for the food and water I have as well.
8. I am thankful to have a full-time job that financially provides for my home, food, water, electric, and heat.
9. I am thankful for the military men and women who have sacrificed their time, energy, and their lives to protect me, my loved ones, and our freedoms in our country. As a woman who was once born as a military brat, I acknowledge the fact that serving and protecting in the military isn’t easy. These men and women deserve our utmost respect and thanks, and they certainly have mine.
10. I am thankful for all the places I’ve been in this world so far.
11. I am thankful for having been given so many opportunities to experience once-in-a-lifetime activities (including the ones I’ve already shared, as well as the ones I have yet to share).
12. I am thankful for time. Every moment that passes is a moment that will never come back. Too often we take time for granted. Time can be given to improve ourselves, to improve our situations, to heal from a hurtful situation, to spend in solidarity and reflect during difficult or stagnant times, to spend with loved ones … and … time can easily be stripped away from us. As I have stated in #1, tomorrow is not promised, and it never will be.
I will end the post here, so that you can go spend some time doing something more important on this holiday than reading any more of my blog. Today is a day I don’t want to take too much of your time from. So go be with your loved ones, spend it in tears of joy and laughter. Make this day another day of beautiful moments to call your own. No matter where you are, or what you are doing, thank you for reading this! Happy Thanksgiving, and may you and yours be safe, joyous, and in peace.
(My thanks for this free photo goes to Hanny Naibaho.)
One thought on “A Beautiful Moment for Giving Thanks.”
I love this Post! You have such a way with words! I am thankful for you, who I look forward to getting to spend time with, and love for the rest of our lives. Although I cannot do anything about the last 30 years, I can be here for you for the next 30. I love you, and am proud of you.
LikeLiked by 1 person